Monday 10 April 2017

Prague - My City of Romance

If you've read any of my previous posts in this blog you'll already be aware of my special connection to Prague, and my passion for being in the city. My most recent visit has completely sealed that bond and has catapulted Prague to the top of my list of the most romantic cities in the world.

In an article in the independent newspaper last year, Prague came in at number ten of the top twenty five most romantic cities in the world (Paris came in top, but that was hardly a revelation!). It has also featured in a similar poll and in a similar position this year and in 2014, Prague was third in the list of most romantic cities in Europe.

If you've visited Prague, you'll understand why people fall in love with the city. If you're lucky you may even have fallen in love with someone while you've been there. Even in the depths of winter, I've seen couples having wedding photographs taken on the Charles Bridge. A former colleague from Romania got married in her embassy in the city (best of both worlds - get married on your home soil in a different country!).

On my second trip to the city, some twelve years ago, I have a feeling that something sparked between me and another former colleague, although I can't be entirely sure - I was a bit less worldly than I am now!

We started seeing each other some years later after that, and have now been together for over ten years. Mel has been to stay with me on a number of occasions while I've lived in Prague, and she shares my love of the place. And on her birthday this year, as the climax to a great weekend shared with some old university friends of mine, we sealed the deal and got engaged (much to my surprise!).

Just after the big event - outside the first hotel we stayed in
Prague is truly My City of Romance! And Mel has a beautiful Bohemian white gold and diamond ring on her finger to prove it!






1 comment: